Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Brief Retrospective


This class was in many ways a dream-state that lasted for a semester, and in retrospect, the one thing I can say is that I had no idea what to expect. What would proceed for the rest of the semester was a deluge of various theoretical works and their wonderful incorporation into Medieval texts. I wasn't familiar with the field of Object Oriented Ontology, and perhaps that is why I'm referring to the class as a kind of dream-state. This class was a representation of my essential desires in pursuing an MA in literature. I never had a specific field of focus, and just wished to obtain a wide variety of knowledge through many classes that focus on differing time periods or methods. While this might be considered a “medieval” class, the perspective we brought to it through a wonderful collaborative effort can't be constrained by a period in time or a specific field. This class has been the pinnacle of my experience in the department so far, because of the way in which it allowed so many different voices to speak, and the resulting discussions were engaging and enlightening. I guess the final question in many of our minds is “did we veer at all?” And my answer would be that it probably doesn't matter. We seemed to be in a beautiful kind of spontaneity in which we went about our discussions, and I guess spontaneity can be marked or influenced by an invisible kind of "veering". I would like to thank all of my classmates and Jeffrey for this wonderful experience, and good luck in your future projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment